Your children’s wellbeing depends on how well you handle the process of separation. That’s why it is crucial to have the best advice, including from your family solicitors. We will also guide you through when and where to get any other advice you may need, to help make sure your children thrive.
Making sure your children come first
You know what is best for your children. And parenting problems are usually best dealt with outside the legal profession.
Sometimes, though, it helps to have some outside help and support. When you are separating and divorcing, the arrangements for children can become difficult to sort out. You may have different views, and different plans.
Our family solicitors have enormous experience in helping parents by:
- Anticipating parenting problems on separation, and preventing them
- Advising how other professionals can help – both you as a parent and your children
- Advising about mediation as an alternative to legal involvement
- Advising about practical and legal arrangements to support children, and how their time can best be shared and their financial needs catered for
Firm, clear advice should help you avoid further legal involvement. However, if there is a problem, we can help. For example:
- If you cannot agree the practical or financial arrangements for your children
- If there is an issue about health or education
- If one of you wants to take the children abroad, temporarily or permanently
Our family law team is very experienced in dealing with these sensitive issues and will make sure that your children always come first.
Our family lawyers
Our national family law team is one of the largest in the country, with 29 family and divorce solicitors, including seven partners and a consultant.
We have family lawyers in London, Birmingham, Manchester, Leeds, Cambridge and Norwich.
Several of our divorce solicitors are trained as mediators, and can help prepare you for mediation, or can conduct mediation on children’s issues.
We have particular expertise in cross border problems relating to children. Six of our lawyers are Fellows of the International Academy of Family Lawyers, the kite mark for excellence in family law, showing recognition nationally and internationally of our expertise in this area.
We also conduct court proceedings about children. We have acted successfully in several cases involving children being taken abroad, both in ensuring this happens, and in preventing it.
All our family lawyers are members of Resolution. We put children first, and never lose sight of the fact that – even after a divorce – you continue as parents.
What our clients and others say about us
Our family solicitors are regarded nationally as market leaders. We are top rated for family law in all our regions by the leading guides to the legal profession, Chambers UK and Legal 500, following independent research of clients, lawyers and other professionals.
Comments from clients and peers about our family lawyers include the following:
- “This firm has enormous strength in family law across the UK …”
- “The team at Mills & Reeve is ‘prompt’, ‘careful’ and ‘co-operative’, and provides an ‘excellent service’.”
- “… accomplished in matrimonial finance and Children Act proceedings.”
- “very impressive and very focused”
- “patient, tenacious, and has a sense of humour and fair play”
- “calm and pragmatic, and can think outside the box”
- “gets his point across in a carefully considered manner without being aggressive; he is amazing a real gentleman”
Legal resources you may find useful
- Divorce.co.uk: your children - our divorce law website, offering substantial advice and information about legal and practical issues relating to children.
- The Family through Divorce – a guide to the legal and emotional issues – Roger Bamber, joint author with psychologist Dr Janet Reibstein and psychiatrist Dr Jeannette Josse
- Our Divorce UK app – voted by The Sunday Times as one of the top 500 apps in the world
- Family Law Hub – this is a groundbreaking knowhow base available for subscription online. It contains Mills & Reeve’s knowhow and legal research, together with video content on legal topics.