you are going through a divorce or relationship breakdown, you need the best family law advice available. We can help you decide what is right – personally, legally and financially – for you and your family.
> Our family lawyers
> Our experience
> Our clients
> What our clients and others say about us
> Legal resources you may find useful
How our divorce advice can help
Family law involves critical judgements about your future, your children, your finances and your business. Advice on divorce also involves highly technical law, often across different areas of expertise or international boundaries, so you will need clear guidance.
Our experienced team of family and divorce solicitors, which is recognised as one of the best in the country, can help you through the process calmly and cost effectively.
With good legal advice, clients can achieve a lot by themselves. We support that. In fact, we empower our clients wherever possible – equipping you to carry on your own discussions with confidence, to structure your own financial settlements; and to come to arrangements about your children, with minimum conflict.
Because most couples want to avoid going to court, we offer family mediation, collaborative law and family arbitration. If court is unavoidable, we have the strength and depth to handle even the largest scale, most complex litigation.
As most couples are worried about legal fees at this already stressful time, we can offer fixed fees. Our Divorce.co.uk website, Divorce App and YouTube channel also provide free information.
Many people think lawyers are all the same. We disagree. We care about our clients and will give you clear, practical guidance.
Our family lawyers
- Our national family law team is one of the largest in the country, with 29 family and divorce solicitors, including seven partners and a consultant.
- Our family solicitors are top rated in each of our regions by the guides to the legal profession, Chambers UK and Legal 500, following independent research of clients, lawyers and other professionals.
- We have specialist lawyers working from London, Birmingham, Manchester, Leeds, Cambridge and Norwich.
- Seven of our family solicitors are Fellows of the International Academy of Family Lawyers, the kite mark for excellence in family law, showing recognition nationally and internationally of their expertise.
- Six of our family lawyers are also qualified as family mediators and three as family arbitrators.
- One of our lawyers sits as a Deputy High Court Judge.
- All our lawyers are members of Resolution, the leading association of family law solicitors, which promotes a constructive approach to family disputes.
- Our family and divorce solicitors also draw upon the expertise of our specialist trust and tax lawyers, as well as our property and commercial lawyers, to offer you the right blend of advice.
- We are aware that lawyers do not have all the answers! So we work with experts in other professions when needed in order to help you to get the best outcome and keep your costs low.
- Our family lawyers have a national reputation for excellence in family law, writing articles and lecturing to the legal profession at the highest level, including to the Judicial Studies Board.
> Back to top
Most frequently, we help clients to resolve their financial and other issues on divorce or separation – and we do so in a constructive and conciliatory way. Whether our clients choose family mediation (either through us or with our support of an external mediator), collaborative law or negotiation, we have the experience to help. Some examples of our work include:
- Working for the trustees of a large landed estate and farming practice involving a substantial group of companies and assets in excess of £25 million. The case was litigated in the High Court, and the team was instrumental in helping to achieve a settlement.
- Helping a client who needed a freezing injunction involving offshore assets as well as Middle Eastern assets and businesses. The case involved inter-jurisdictional problems: ensuring that proceedings were issued in England was critical to the financial outcome.
- Acting on an urgent, high net value pre-marital agreement with complex international issues involving a number of different jurisdictions. We advised on the terms of the agreement and liaised with lawyers overseas on the impact of the agreement in various jurisdictions.
- Helping a client in proceedings involving a property development company, with offshore assets, trusts and large pension assets in excess of £20 million.
> Back to top
Our clients come from all walks of life, and all receive the same level of service. Whatever their background, many take up our fixed fees to keep their legal expenditure to a minimum. Our clients include:
- Professionals and their families (for example, we advise the partners of Linklaters on all family law and private client matters)
- Individuals attempting family mediation on cross jurisdictional disputes, often involving very tight timescales and substantial assets
- Owners of businesses and their families, typically owner managed businesses within private companies or partnerships, but also plcs
- Professional and family trustees, whose beneficiaries may be involved in divorce proceedings
- Both onshore and offshore trusts, where proceedings are brought in England and Wales
- Families and individuals with international connections
> Back to top
What our clients and others say about us
Our family solicitors are regarded nationally as market leaders. We are highly rated in both Chambers UK and Legal 500 following independent research. Comments from other lawyers and clients include the following:
- Mills & Reeve LLP is "first rate, focused and decisive, and its client care is second to none". Legal 500
- “This firm has enormous strength in family law across the UK … sources say: ‘They helped me understand my options clearly and concisely. They kept me fully informed of the process and made it less stressful’.” Chambers UK
- “According to sources, the family team at Mills & Reeve LLP are all top-notch, demonstrating ‘efficiency and thoroughness, and a very practical approach’.” Chambers UK
- “The firm offers London quality service at regional rates.” Chambers UK
- “Mills & Reeve LLP is described as ‘a progressive firm,’ and this is demonstrated in its tailored and flexible approach ...” Chambers UK
Legal resources you may find useful
- Divorce.co.uk – a unique family law resource we have created offering free information, guidance and video content on divorce.
- Our Divorce UK app – free to download on iTunes, and voted by The Sunday Times in 2012 as one of the top 500 apps in the world.
- Divorce information on the Money Advice Service website, written by our family lawyers, provides valuable help.
- Family Law Hub – this is a groundbreaking knowhow base available for subscription online. It contains Mills & Reeve’s knowhow and legal research, together with video content on legal topics.
- Read our guide on pre and post nuptial agreements
> Back to top