Our oil and gas legal team has advised clients throughout the industry, from major multinationals to innovative independent contractors. This breadth of experience means we can advise producers, suppliers, contractors and consultancies operating in the upstream and downstream markets.
Specialist legal advice for the oil and gas sector
In any transaction, project or dispute in the oil and gas sector, our specialist oil and gas lawyers have the necessary expertise and capabilities to deliver timely advice specific to your needs and industry context.
Our team has advised on all aspects of upstream work, including exploration and production projects, oil platform design and fabrication, surveying, sea dredging, well failures, well abandonment, contracts for works on oil platforms, platform collisions, defective E&P equipment and development, and production infrastructure contracts.
We also have expertise in downstream issues, including oil transportation, importation and storage of LNG, gas price fixing, gas metering services and retailer agreements.
This experience in both streams allows us to provide genuine industry-wide advice.
Our team also includes a specialist energy dispute practice, with experience in international arbitrations, offshore and onshore disputes, and disputes arising out of LOGIC terms and conditions, EPC and O&M contracts. Armed with specialist knowledge, tactical skills and commercial awareness, they focus on creative, collaborative and cost-effective solutions to your issues.
Our lawyers specialising in the oil and gas industry
Our expert lawyers can advise on industry specific transactions, projects, tax and contracts including gas and electricity trading agreements.
Our experience in the oil and gas sector includes:
- Advising on the Lower Kihansi Hydro Power Project in Tanzania, which will provide 40 per cent of the country’s energy requirements. The $275 million construction involved Tanzanian Government and World Bank funding, Chinese and Italian contractors and Norwegian engineers.
- Acting for a multinational oil company in a £15 million multi-jurisdictional claim arising out of well failure.
- Acting for multinational company that manufactures and supplies gas metering equipment following claims by three major utility companies.
- Acting for a multinational oil company following a vessels collision with the Sante Fe 140 offshore drilling rig.
- Defending injunctive proceedings brought against an oil company’s subsidiary by an LNG company.
- Advising an international oil and gas company on its tax and contractual liabilities following the acquisition of a company with interests in three gas fields, for $486.4 million.
- Acting for an oil company in proceedings brought by a tax recovery company.
- Acting for an oil company following a crane failure on an offshore rig.
- Acting for an oil company in a $15.8 million claim arising from the failure to provide an accommodation vessel.
- Acting for a contractor providing diving and ROV services under the LOGIC General Conditions of Contract for Marine Construction.
Our clients include:
- Aveva PLC
- Elster Group Gmbh
- Gas Management Services Limited
- Gardline Group
- John Wood Group Plc
- Spiral Software Limited
- SLP Engineering Limited
What our clients and others say about us
- Our energy lawyers have been praised for “having an excellent reputation among clients” and for “knowing clients’ businesses intimately”. Legal 500
- Legal 500 confirms: “The firm continues to gain ground on its nearest competitors, particularly in the energy sector.”
- An oil products client recently told us: “I feel that your work on this case has been exceptional – even by your own high standards.”
Legal resources you may find useful