For entrepreneurs, owner managers, investors and senior executives, there will be critical moments when business decisions, legal issues and personal tax issues overlap. You may be selling your business, investing as a “business angel” or negotiating an executive incentive package. We can help you navigate the maze.
Helping you with your personal tax issues
Our combination of legal skills and tax expertise can help you make the most of moments of commercial opportunity.
We can help you:
- “Tick the boxes” to secure well established tax reliefs such as entrepreneurs’ relief (to reduce your capital gains tax on a sale of business assets) or enterprise investment scheme reliefs (such as an income tax rebate for qualifying investments in unquoted companies)
- If a complex situation means that a textbook analysis of the tax outcome is not enough, so you need an adviser with an appreciation of the underlying principles of tax law to make a judgement call
- If you need an adviser who understands all of the taxes relevant to your personal and commercial situation
Above all, we can integrate our tax advice with legal and commercial advice, to provide a responsive service that makes your priorities our priorities. It is in those areas where legal issues, tax issues and transaction dynamics all come into play that our ability to offer you a joined-up, tailored service gives you an edge.
And in the tax arena, minor changes to a commercial transaction can make a big difference to the tax outcome.
Our tax lawyers
- Christopher Townsend and Deborah Clark focus on personal tax issues in moments of commercial opportunity.
- Behind them lies the strength and depth of our law firm with 4 corporate tax lawyers and more than 20 private client tax lawyers.
Our experience advising on personal tax issues includes:
- Securing maximum entrepreneurs’ relief for the principal owners of a company, including pre-sale planning and structuring, providing advice and recommendations during the negotiations of the deal and assisting with post sale elections and reporting.
- Advising a management team on the design and tax treatment of a performance-related equity ratchet in a private equity deal.
- Advising an individual on securing enterprise investment scheme reliefs for a £1 million investment in a company developing new medical therapies.
- Advising a fund management team on the establishment of carried interest arrangements on the launch of an investment fund.
- Reviewing, and identifying a number of legal flaws in, a tax planning scheme proposed to our client by a “tax advice boutique”.
Our tax clients include:
- Business angels
- Investment professionals
What our clients and others say about us
- Deborah Clark is “proactive and forward thinking”. Legal 500
- Christopher Townsend is “sensible and gets to the heart of issues quickly”. Chambers UK
- Our private client team was recognised as Private Client Team of the Year at the Manchester Legal Awards 2012.