your regulatory problem and in whichever sector you operate, our team of experienced specialist lawyers will be able to help you navigate the relevant regulatory framework , provide you with pragmatic advice and represent you in Court, if required.
> Our regulatory lawyers
> Our regulatory experience
> Our clients
> What our clients and others say about us
Helping you address regulatory challenges
We have more than 30 years’ experience of assisting all types of clients with their various regulatory issues.
We boast a Core Regulatory Unit (CRU) which is a cross-office team consisting of very experienced lawyers who provide contentious regulatory advice and representation. Members are advocates which enables us to provide you with a "one stop" service.
As specialist regulatory lawyers, we pride ourselves on:
- Providing bespoke advice which is thorough yet commercial
- Knowing exactly how you should respond to an approach by any UK regulator
- Taking proactive steps to prevent enforcement action being taken against you, where at all possible
- Helping you to construct a thorough defence, if prosecuted, or to present the most effective mitigation, to minimise the penalties imposed on you
- Working with you to successfully bring appropriate enforcement action, if you are a regulator
We regularly advise clients called to attend PACE interviews helping them cope with any difficult questioning from the regulator or in preparing persuasive written responses on their behalf.
Our regulatory lawyers
Our regulatory team consists of five partners, one consultant, five associates, five solicitors, one chartered legal executive and numerous paralegals. Our regulatory solicitors also have access to more than 150 other litigation lawyers across our firm.
Our regulatory experience
Examples of recent work includes:
- Representing many clients including corporates, NHS Trusts, HE Institutions and landowners under investigation for alleged health and safety breaches including corporate manslaughter.
- Successfully acting on behalf of (and avoiding prosecution) for a major high profile landed estate facing potential prosecution for alleged breaches of the Wildlife & Countryside Act.
- Through insurers, representing a Consultant Surgeon investigated by NHS authorities in connection with an alleged fraud leading to a decision of no further action.
- Successfully defending a farming client charged with causing death by dangerous driving relating to the use of an agricultural trailer.
- Following the issue of a highly critical report by the Fire Service, providing advice to a local NHS Foundation Trust with regard to its response.
- Providing bespoke regulatory advice to SME client concerning the description of a new safety product, involving interpretation of complex EU regulation.
- Successfully bringing the first prosecution against an unregistered service on behalf of the national regulatory under Health & Social Care legislation.
> Back to top
We work with clients across a wide range of sectors. Our clients include a major UK construction company, leading Universities, many hospital trusts and other NHS bodies, several substantial landed estates in the East of England, a major provider in the independent health sector, the CQC and other regulators.
What our clients and others say about us
Ian Mayers and Duncan Astill are highly regarded for their "practical and specialist advice” Legal 500
> Back to top