Whatever your regulatory problem or your sector, our team of experienced specialist lawyers will be able to help you navigate the relevant regulatory framework and, where required, provide you with representation.
Helping you address regulatory challenges
We have more than 30 years’ experience of assisting all types of clients with their various regulatory issues.
As specialist regulatory lawyers, we pride ourselves on:
- Providing thorough, balanced and pragmatic advice
- Knowing exactly how you should respond to an approach by any UK regulator
- Taking proactive steps to prevent enforcement action being taken against you, where at all possible
- Helping you to construct a thorough defence, if required, or present the most effective mitigation, if prosecuted, to minimise the penalties imposed on you
- Working with you to successfully bring an appropriate enforcement action, if you are a regulator
We regularly advise clients called to attend PACE interviews and prepare persuasive written responses or accompany them, to help them cope with any difficult questioning from the regulator.
Our team is made up of experienced advocates so, where required, we can appear in court on your behalf.
Our regulatory lawyers
Our regulatory team consists of five partners, one consultant, four associates, five solicitors, one chartered legal executive and two paralegals.
Our regulatory solicitors also have access to more than 150 other litigation lawyers across our firm.
Our regulatory experience
We have considerable experience advising on regulatory issues, including:
- Successfully acting on behalf of (and avoiding prosecution for) a major landed estate facing potential prosecution for alleged breaches of the Wildlife & Countryside Act.
- Successfully bringing the first prosecution against an unregistered service on behalf of the national regulator under Health & Social Care legislation.
- Through insurers, representing a senior medic being investigated by the GMC following a patient complaint after surgery, resulting in the case not being pursued.
- Successfully defending a farming client charged with causing death by dangerous driving relating to the use of an agricultural trailer.
- Following the issue of a highly critical report by the Fire Service, providing advice to a local NHS Foundation Trust with regard to its response.
- Providing urgent written advice to a health regulator regarding its new powers and duties following the passing of the Health & Social Care Act 2012.
- Providing bespoke regulatory advice to a local safety company, concerning the description of a new product, involving interpretation of complex EU regulation.
We work with clients across a wide range of sectors. Examples include:
- Numerous higher education and further education institutions
- Cambridge Ski Safety Limited
- Several landed estates in the East of England
- A major provider in the independent health sector
What our clients and others say about us
“Ian Mayers and Duncan Astill are highly regarded for their practical and specialist advice” Legal 500