strong reputation in the technology sector is built on understanding our clients’ businesses. Whether you are an entrepreneur looking for seed investment or a multinational plc negotiating a strategic deal, we can help. We take the time to get to know you, and you benefit from our wide ranging experience and advice focused on your needs.
> Our technology lawyers
> Our experience
> Our clients
> What our clients and others say about us
> Legal resources you may find useful
Helping technology businesses succeed
We are the legal advisers behind some of the UK’s most successful technology and life sciences businesses. As we act for all the main players in the industry – entrepreneurs, customers, investors and tech transfer departments – we can anticipate your likely issues and provide practical solutions quickly and cost effectively.
We provide all the legal services that a technology business needs. We can secure your intellectual property, build your corporate structure, take you through funding rounds, negotiate strategic commercial deals, advise on the appointment and removal of key team members, and deliver a successful exit, whether through a corporate sale or IPO.
The technology sector moves quickly. Our technology lawyers are flexible and responsive to ensure that you can take advantage of the opportunities this presents.
Finally, as we offer a full service to technology businesses across the UK, whether you are a Cambridge based biotech or a social media start-up in Tech City, our expert team is on your doorstep and can provide City quality advice at a competitive price.
Our technology lawyers
Our technology experts include specialist solicitors in all the key areas, including corporate, commercial, intellectual property, IT, employment, real estate, corporate tax and disputes.
Our lawyers are available near you, wherever you are. We have offices on the doorstep of the UK’s major technology hubs, including in Cambridge and next to Tech City.
- AIM listing – we supported market-leading location solutions company, Ubisense Group plc, through its AIM IPO. We helped them to raise £8.6 million, which gave them a market capitalisation of approximately £40 million when they listed.
- Spin-outs – we have acted on over 80 spin-outs, including most of the spin-outs from Cambridge University.
- Developing and negotiating commercial contracts – we have developed bespoke contracts for clients including Firmstep, a leading provider of customer service solutions for local government, and PCTI Solutions, which provides document management solutions for the health sector. We also provide support on negotiating terms with customers.
- Institutional fundraising – we acted for AIM listed Bango plc on a £6.5 million institutional fundraising, following on from a £3.25 million institutional fundraising in May 2012. Bango is a leading mobile payment and analytics company.
- Major technology projects – we regularly advise on major technology projects, acting for both customers and suppliers. For example, we advised on the appointment of IBM to provide transformational IT services to University Hospitals of Leicester and the £200 million eHospital project at Addenbrookes.
- Venture capital fundraising – we act for a range of venture capital funds and businesses funded by angel and venture capital investors. For example, we recently acted for the venture capital fund Low Carbon Innovation Fund on seed investments totalling £12.5 million in companies including Breathing Buildings, TeraView and iSotera.
- Employment and pensions support – we work closely with the HR and senior management teams at technology companies such as Sepura and MedImmune on a wide range of employment issues.
- Sale of high profile software business – as well as acting for the Financial Conduct Authority (previously the Financial Services Authority) on IT and commercial contract issues, we led on the sale by the FCA of its Transaction Reporting System to the London Stock Exchange for £15 million.
> Back to top
Our technology clients include:
- Bicycle Therapeutics
What our clients and others say about us
- “Well placed to advise large companies and start-ups …. Very good at tailoring its service to my requirements as a client.” Chambers UK
- “One of the largest technology teams outside London” Legal 500
- “Quick and commercially focused” Legal 500
- “They will approach me with any updates on legislation and share their contacts, which is very helpful and adds value” Client quoted in Chambers UK
- “Represents both investors and companies, and is especially known for its experience within the technology sector” Chambers UK
- Our technology law team was also a recent finalist for TMT Team of the Year in both Legal Week and The Lawyer annual awards
- Our technology lawyers are ranked in the top tier in Chambers UK and Legal 500 for corporate, corporate tax, employment, intellectual property, IT, life sciences and real estate.
Legal resources you may find useful
- Technology Law Update: Updates, opinions and the latest UK technology law news in a blog by our technology lawyers.
- LaunchPAD: Free information for entrepreneurs and start-ups, covering everything from raising finance to setting up a company structure and understanding employment, tax and commercial law.
> Back to top