What does the role involve?
We are looking for an employment solicitor to join our top-ranked team. The role can be based in either Cambridge or London. You will undertake a broad mix of contentious and non-contentious work with appropriate supervision as needed, for predominantly commercial sector clients.
The employment team works for a wide range of clients including commercial, higher education, charities and health clients. It is part of the cross office Employment, Pensions and Immigration NSL which is headed by David Mills, and supported by professional support lawyers who assist with training, precedents and client seminars. You will develop your career within an NSL, which consists of 36 lawyers. There are monthly cross-office NSL training sessions delivered by our professional support lawyers, and an annual away day for the whole team.
You will be involved in training to individual clients and also to wider groups of clients/targets.
At this level, you will be expected to perform as follows:
- Deliver outstanding client service to both internal and external clients to encourage client retention and referrals
- Have a sound understanding of clients' legal, commercial and service requirements within your practice area
- Develop commercial and personable client contact skills
- Have strong technical competence and legal knowledge in your practice area
- Deliver accurate, technically correct advice that delivers advice in writing, on the telephone and in person
New clients, new work
- Assist business development with existing and new clients and other professionals as part of the National Service Line
You will have 2+ years' experience gained in a reputable firm with a substantive employment law practice.
What skills and attributes would I need?
- Good academics - 2.1 degree or equivalent with good A levels
- Clear enthusiasm for employment law
- Excellent written English for drafting purposes
- Excellent presentational skills
- Self-starting with common sense and initiative, and ability to work as a team-player working on complex matters
- Very good time and documentation management skills
- Keen attention to detail
- Ability to build very good relationships with clients, potential clients and multipliers
- Very good research skills, including an ability to use online information sources
- Excellent interpersonal and team skills, including ability to work with others, influence and persuade
- Keen interest in developing client training skills
- High level of IT skills
- Marketing and business development skills
- Previous experience of advising commercial clients, including drafting contracts, employment handbooks, policies and procedures.
- Previous experience of providing employment law support and input to corporate transactions, including undertaking due diligence and drafting the employment provisions in transactional documents.
- Ability to lead on Employment Tribunal matters.
- Project management skills.
Who will I be working with?
You will primarily work with partners, David Mills (Cambridge) and Andrew Secker (London) as part of a commercial employment team working cross office. The team is continuing to build its well established practice in Cambridge and expand its growing practice that Andrew is developing in London.
What else should I know?
This is an ideal opportunity to build your skills and experience with a major UK law firm, listed as one of the “Sunday Times 100 Best Companies to Work For” for the last 16 years - the only law firm to achieve this. This year we were named as Roll on Friday's Firm of the Year for 2019. We have also achieved the much sought after Three Star Accreditation and been named as one of 100 Best Mid-Sized Companies to Work For as a result of outstanding levels of staff engagement and the firm's commitment to creating a positive working environment for all employees.
Mills & Reeve is a major UK law firm renowned for its outstanding service to national and international clients, for its collaborative culture and for its deep sector expertise.
The firm has a strong sector focus with expertise in agriculture, charities, education, food and beverage, health, insurance, private wealth, real estate investment, sport and technology. Clients include businesses from PLCs to start-ups, high net worth individuals and landowners, more than 120 universities, colleges and education bodies and over 100 healthcare organisations.
Please note that, in the event that we make an offer of employment, we will conduct pre-employment screening that includes checks relating to your professional and academic qualifications, references from previous employers, your eligibility to work in the UK and any disciplinary history recorded with the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA). You will also be required to complete a self-declaration to access your character and suitability.
Disclosure and barring service check
This post is also subject to a satisfactory response from the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) to check for any previous criminal convictions.
As you would expect, the firm offers a generous salary and benefits. The firm's standard benefits are detailed in the following link:
What really sets Mills & Reeve apart from other law firms is the way we work with our clients. We understand that clients, in the 21st century, no longer want a traditional law firm - they want one that embraces forward thinking approaches to service, billing, commercial know-how, innovation, people management and community engagement.
Why not find out more about what it's like to work at Mills & Reeve by taking two minutes to watch our video?
Mills & Reeve is committed to providing an inclusive and supportive working environment. We are happy to consider flexible working arrangements and endeavour to achieve the right balance for both our people and the business. This attitude to flexible working ensures we continue to provide outstanding service to our clients, whilst allowing our people to develop their careers in the knowledge that personal priorities will remain just that.
Mills & Reeve is committed to promoting equality, diversity and to providing an inclusive and supportive environment. Please click the link below to find further information regarding our diversity policy.