What does the role involve?
We need a corporate solicitor to join our very busy and highly regarded Venture Capital and Equity Investments team, which sits within the firm's Corporate and Commercial NSL. In the last year, our team has advised on over 100 investment transactions raising in aggregate more than £250m.
Our clients range from institutional venture capital funds, business angels and angel groups, family office funds and corporate venture investors.
We also work with entrepreneurs, start-ups and spin-outs, through to growing and mature businesses, helping them to raise equity or quasi equity funding from seed and early stage sources through to growth capital and pre-IPO investment.
The work includes:
- Acting for investors on their portfolio investments, portfolio management issues and exits
- Advising start-ups and spin-outs on their initial set ups and seed financings
- Advising fast growth businesses on their fundraisings and a range of other corporate work (eg re-organisations, shareholder matters, etc)
- Acting as a key point of contact at the firm for fast growth businesses when we are assisting them with a range of other services (eg employment, tax, share options, IP, commercial contracts, etc) to help manage our delivery of these services to such clients
You will be part of the Corporate NSL which advises a broad range of clients, ranging from new start ups, through to substantial private companies and PLCs on a broad range of corporate issues and transactions. An increasing amount of the NSL's work is international.
Why should I apply?
This is an ideal opportunity to develop your career working for a growing national firm, the leading corporate firm in the region and a firm listed for a record 16th year running as one of the Sunday Times 100 Best Companies to Work For and joint winner of Roll On Friday Firm of the Year 2018. The Venture Capital and Equity Investments team is a busy growing team which is highly regarded both in the market and by its peers. Our clients include businesses which have scaled rapidly to become global leaders in their markets and investors whose investment portfolio includes businesses successfully sold to Google, Amazon and Apple, to name a few and others listed on AIM. Our lawyers are also thought leaders in a number of areas in this sector, for example, university spin outs and crowd-funding. This role would give any ambitious senior corporate lawyer an opportunity to help grow and manage a leading national practice and team focussing on investments in ambitious fast growth and often highly disruptive technology businesses, and develop strong client relationships.
What experience is required?
You will be a solicitor of 4+ years qualified in corporate with experience gained in a City or large regional firm. Ideally you will have experience of equity investment work with a strong background in transactional work and be able to demonstrate both working as part of a team and/or managing transactions and teams largely unsupervised. You will also be able to demonstrate an understanding of, and an interest in helping to grow and manage a team and a practice.
What skills and attributes would I need?
- Good academics - 2.1 degree or equivalent with good A levels or equivalents
- Technically strong
- Excellent drafting and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and team skills
- Willingness to take initiative and to participate in marketing and business development activities
- Organisation and prioritisation
- Systematic and methodical approach to work with ability to demonstrate these skills
- Strong experience of corporate transactional work
- Attention to detail
- Experience of equity investment work
- Evidence of an understanding of what is needed to help grow, develop and manage a corporate practice
- Business development experience
Who would I be working with?
You will work principally with Cambridge based partner, Zickie Lim in the Venture Capital and Equity Investments team, but you will also work with partners from across Mills & Reeve's national corporate team as and when client work requires. The Cambridge fee earners are part of the cross office Corporate and Commercial National Service Line headed up by partner, Kevin Lowe. The team is supported by professional support lawyers.
Please note that, in the event that we make an offer of employment, we will conduct pre-employment screening that includes checks relating to your professional and academic qualifications, references from previous employers, your eligibility to work in the UK and any disciplinary history recorded with the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA). You will also be required to complete a self-declaration to access your character and suitability.
Disclosure and barring service check
This post is also subject to a satisfactory response from the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) to check for any previous criminal convictions.
What else should I know?
Mills & Reeve is committed to promoting equality, diversity and to providing an inclusive and supportive
environment. We are happy to consider flexible working arrangements and endeavour to achieve the right balance
for both our people and the business. This attitude to flexible working ensures we continue to provide outstanding service to our clients, whilst allowing our people to develop their careers in the knowledge that personal priorities will remain just that.