In today’s difficult economic climate, innovation is key to survival and success. Our team of intellectual property lawyers will provide you with proactive, practical and commercial advice to help you protect and exploit your intellectual property.
Innovation matters – we can help make it work for you
Intellectual property has become a key area of focus for growing companies and established businesses, investors and venture capitalists, universities and public sector bodies – and even politicians.
We can help you to protect and make the most of your intellectual property. We offer a one-stop service, including advice on:
- Forming an intellectual property strategy
- Getting registered protection, in the form of trade marks, registered designs or patents
- Collaboration, research and development, and licence agreements
- Taking action against those who infringe your intellectual property
- Defending yourself against any infringement claims
Our expert team has substantial experience helping listed companies and leading universities with their intellectual property needs. We are also known for our advisory work in the biotech, medtech, cleantech and software industries.
Our intellectual property lawyers
Our intellectual property team offers three partners, seven lawyers and one paralegal.
Alasdair Poore is also a Chartered Patent Attorney and recent President of the Chartered Institute of Patent Attorneys, as well as Chair of its Trade Marks Committee, and actively involved in the professional regulatory regime for patent attorneys.
- Technology clients: we are known for our IP advisory work in the biotech, medtech, cleantech and software fields, including start-ups and spin-outs (both direct and for venture capitalists and investors) as well as a number of PLCs.
- Trade mark portfolio management: we manage large international trade portfolios on behalf of high profile clients in the private and education sector.
- Trade mark licensing strategy: we provided a well known charity with advice on strategy and risks arising in relation to the licensing of one of its trade marks, which enabled it to develop a coherent strategy matching their requirements.
- Dispute resolution: we provided a major UK university with advice on a dispute arising from a technology collaboration agreement and the resulting risks, enabling it to determine a clear strategy for achieving resolution on a cost effective basis.
- Patent infringement dispute: we successfully defended a supplier of products to the London Olympics in patent proceedings brought against it by a manufacturer of competing products (an application for an interim injunction) and were then able to negotiate a favourable settlement to avoid a continuation of the proceedings.
- Technology licensing: we advise a major player in the inkjet printing field on the licensing of its technology, including drafting and negotiating licensing agreements and advising on disputes.
- IP ownership dispute: we have advised the subsidiary of a major UK university responsible for the exploitation of its IP in a dispute where inventors cited in a patent claimed they owned their contribution and were entitled to all revenues attributable to that contribution. We proposed a successful defence and resolution strategy.
- Trade mark enforcement: we are advising two international brand owners on the enforcement of their trade marks against infringers in the UK.
Some examples of clients we advise on intellectual property issues include:
- Aveva Group Plc
- NHS Blood & Transplant
- The Financial Conduct Authority
- Birmingham City University
- Xaar plc
- Signature Systems Inc
- University of Cambridge
- Cambridge University Press
- Karndean International Limited
What our clients and others say about us
- "A client commented: 'Their advice challenged my assumptions while being in tune with the commercial necessities of our business.'" Legal 500
- "Alasdair Poore 'is extremely knowledgeable on IP issues and very thorough in his advice,' one client comments, adding: 'In him we feel like we have someone who really understands the legal aspects of the things we're dealing with.'" Chambers UK
- "Richard Plaistowe 'helped solve the dispute quickly and practically’ and ‘went above and beyond what was expected of him as a lawyer.' clients report." Legal 500
Legal resources you may find useful