What can Colin do for you?
Recognised as one of the UK’s leading surrogacy and fertility lawyers, Colin heads the firm’s fertility law team. He is also highly regarded for his specialism in children law and is ranked in Band 1 for Cross Border Children Disputes by the Chambers Guide. He undertakes cases with international dimensions including child abduction, jurisdiction disputes and domestic and international relocations. He has litigated at all levels of court including the Supreme Court and European Court of Human Rights.
Supporting your ambitions
Colin routinely represents intended parents following international surrogacy arrangements in order to secure legal parentage for their children under UK law. His clients come from a wide range of backgrounds including professionals, members of the aristocracy, fellow lawyers, celebrities and ultra high net worth individuals. Colin represented a transgender parent in the Court of Appeal and successfully overturned a High Court decision that the transgender parent could not have direct contact with her children because they were from an ultra orthodox Jewish community.
What do others say?
“represents people with very hard cases. He's very hard-working and committed to work, and to helping the LGBT community” - Chambers & Partners
“The surrogacy guru . . . hugely respected, not just by judges and lawyers in this jurisdiction, but also internationally” - Legal 500
"Few would be able to top Colin in terms of range and depth of knowledge of surrogacy and parenthood" - Chambers & Partners 2022
"insane technical knowledge . . . knows what he is talking about!" - Chambers & Partners 2022
"kind, knowledgeable, extremely responsive . . .everything happened without a hitch" - client
What else should you know?
Colin is an Assisted Reproductive Technology Fellow of the Academy of Adoption and Assisted Reproductive Technology Attorneys and a Fellow of the prestigious International Academy of Family Lawyers. He is an executive council member of the American Bar Association Family Law Section Assisted Reproductive Technology Committee, a member of the UK LGBT Family Law Institute and Resolution.
- Re S (Children: Parentage and Jurisdiction)  EWCA Civ 897 (Court of Appeal)
- H v the United Kingdom (Application 32185/20) European Court of Human Rights
- Re X (Foreign Surrogacy: Death of Intended Parent)  EWFC 33 (Mrs Justice Theis)
- A (Children) (Contact: Ultra-Orthodox Jewish Father)  EWFC 3 (Mr Justice Hayden)
- Re M (Children) (Transgender Ultra Orthodox Jewish Father)  EWCA Civ 2165 (Court of Appeal)
- Re A, B and C (UK surrogacy expenses)  EWHC 760 (Fam) (Ms Justice Russell)
- Re JB (Surrogacy immigration)  EWHC 2643 (Fam) (Mrs Justice Pauffley)
- Re AB (Surrogacy: Consent)  EWHC 2643 (Fam) (Mrs Justice Theis)
- Re A and B (No 1: Fact Finding)  EWHC 1059 (Mrs Justice Theis)
- Re A and B (No 2: Parental Order)  EWHC 2080 (Mrs Justice Theis)
- Re S (A Child) (Abduction: Hearing the Child)  EWCA Civ 1557 (Court of Appeal)
- Re G and M  EWHC 1561 (Fam) (Mrs Justice Theis)
- M v F and H  EWHC 1901 (Mr Justice Peter Jackson)
- Re P-M  EWHC 2328 (Fam) (Mrs Justice Theis)
- Raw v France and others v France (Application 10131/11) European Court of Human Rights
- Re W (Children)  EWHC 370 (Mrs Justice Theis)
- Re L (A child) (Brussels II Revised: Recognition)  EWCA Civ 1157 (Court of Appeal)
- T v S (Wardship)  1 FLR 230 (Mr Justice Hedley)
- Re S (Stranded Spouse Guidance)  1 FLR 319 (Mrs Justice Hogg)
- Re I (Contact Application: Jurisdiction)  1 FLR 361 (UK Supreme Court)
Awards and rankings
- Spears Guide 2022 – Recommended Lawyer
- Legal 500 – Next Generation Partner (London: Family Law)
- Chambers and Partners – Leading Individual (London: Cross-Border Children Disputes)
- Shortisted for LexisNexis Family Law Awards International Family Lawyer of the Year (2022)
- Shortlisted for Jordan’s Family Law Awards Family Law Associate of the Year (2017)
- Rising Star – LGBT Bar Association and Interlaw Diversity Forum in recognition of LGBT legal professionals under the age of 40 who have demonstrated a profound commitment to LGBT equality
Press coverage and publications
Colin Rogerson is also a Fellow of the International Academy of Family Lawyers.