“Jagvinder Singh Kang is one of the most respected technology lawyers in the market. He advises large corporate customers and vendors on the implementation of sophisticated technology projects and sophisticated data protection matters.”
- Chambers and Partners, 2023 Edition
“Jagvinder Singh Kang stands out as a true expert in his field.”
- Legal 500, 2023 Edition
“Jagvinder Singh Kang just knows everything and what to do in a crisis.”
- Legal 500, 2023 Edition
Jagvinder is an award winning and market leading UK technology lawyer. He is featured in Legal 500's ‘Hall of Fame’ - which Legal 500 confirms: “highlights, to clients, the law firm partners who are at the pinnacle of the profession.” He has been recognised for 13 consecutive years in Legal 500’s 'Elite List of Outstanding Technology Lawyers Nationwide'. He is also currently ranked number one for technology law by Legal 500 and Chambers & Partners, a position which he has also held for an incredible 13 consecutive years.
As the firm’s International & UK Head of IT Law, as well as the Head of the firm's Cyber Response Service, he is a specialist technology, data protection and cyber lawyer (CIPP/E, CIPM, CIPT, FIP, BSc), as well as a qualified software engineer (First Class BSc (Hons) Degree in Computer Science & Software Engineering; and he has completed the academic requirements for Chartered Engineer status).
He has over 25 years of technology law expertise from having advised on billions of pounds worth of UK and international technology transactions, including those involving FTSE100, NASDAQ listed and other world-class corporates. He has also undertaken global data protection compliance projects for some of the world's largest companies in their sectors. Furthermore, he has advised clients on UK and international cyber attacks and data protection breaches (including liaising with data protection regulators, law enforcement in the UK, and the FBI in the USA).
Our clients are also put at a significant advantage in view of Jagvinder’s specialist software engineering and computer science background – something which is quite unique in the world of legal advisers! It means that clients truly benefit from him being able to take a holistic view when providing technology law related advice. In particular, he is able to 'speak the same language' as clients' technical teams and 'bridge the gap' between legal issues and IT through his genuine understanding of the underlying technology - whether in the context of transactional, data protection or cyber breach matters.
As an expert in his field, Jagvinder has also had well over 200 Cover and Feature articles published in leading national and international publications (including in PLC, Computing, Computer Weekly, Computers & Law, Hindustan Times of India), whilst also presenting on technology, data protection and cyber law topics at leading events, including to General Counsel of FTSE100 companies at “The Lawyer” flagship event in London.
What can Jagvinder do for you?
Jagvinder is the International & UK Head of IT Law, as well as the Head of the firm's Cyber Response Service. He is an award winning and market leading, specialist technology, data protection and cyber lawyer, who has been consistently ranked number one for technology law by Legal 500 and Chambers & Partners for well over a decade. He can advise on all IT procurement and supply matters (including matters relating to cloud computing (eg SaaS), AI, IoT, outsourcing, software, systems), data protection compliance, as well as cyber attack and data breach matters.
Supporting your ambitions
Jagvinder brings unique insights and strategic advice from his additional qualifications:
- As a software engineer with a First Class BSc (Hons) degree in Computer Science and Software Engineering, he has also completed the academic requirements for Chartered Engineer status.
- As a specialist data protection and cyber lawyer with internationally recognised specialist data protection qualifications (CIPP/E, CIPM, CIPT, FIP) – his average examination certification score of 99% on the CIPP/E 'gold standard' for data protection is amongst the world’s highest.
Consequently, his unique specialist background, allows him to better advise clients on the associated legal issues. With his technical background, he can also 'speak the same language' as clients’ IT teams on complex IT procurement/supply or cyber breach matters.
What do others say?
Chambers & Partners notes:
- "Jagvinder is an excellent lawyer. He is pragmatic in his approach, responsive and extremely able."
- "Jagvinder has excelled in every aspect: efficiency, knowledge and understanding business challenges, both the legal implications as well as the commercial impact."
Legal 500 adds:
- "The IT team at Mills & Reeve LLP is led by 'true expert in the field' Jagvinder Singh Kang, a specialist in GDPR and data protection."
- "Jagvinder Singh Kang provides fantastic partner support, particularly on the data protection aspects, and offers excellent, pragmatic support on some of the more tricky compliance issues."