Building Safety - start date for registration of higher-risk buildings (6 April 2023)

Registration of higher-risk buildings which are already occupied starts on 6 April 2023.

The principal accountable person (PAP) - usually the owner of the common parts of the building or someone with a relevant repairing obligation for the common parts - must register any higher-risk building with the building safety regulator, who sits within the Health and Safety Executive.

So what is a higher-risk building?  It is a building that is at least 18 metres in height or has at least 7 storeys and which contains at least 2 residential units.

There are exceptions from the registration of occupied buildings, including care homes and hospitals as well as hotels.

The registration process requires quite a lot of information to be provided. There is also a registration fee of £251 per building. 


Our content explained

Every piece of content we create is correct on the date it’s published but please don’t rely on it as legal advice. If you’d like to speak to us about your own legal requirements, please contact one of our expert lawyers.

Posted by


Mills & Reeve Sites navigation
A tabbed collection of Mills & Reeve sites.
My Mills & Reeve navigation
Subscribe to, or manage your My Mills & Reeve account.
My M&R


Register for My M&R to stay up-to-date with legal news and events, create brochures and bookmark pages.

Existing clients

Log in to your client extranet for free matter information, know-how and documents.


Mills & Reeve system for employees.