We can help you proactively navigate your way through difficult issues or help you react to potential enforcement action. If you are facing sanction we can help you defend your position and ensure that the charity and those running it are treated fairly and proportionately.
We have advised national and international charities, individual trustees and complex charitable organisations with a range of difficult issues. Our work includes:
- Successfully challenging a proposed warning notice on behalf of a national charity chair
- Advising a high profile independent review of a charity, undertaken to consider its governance arrangements and responses to previous criticisms. Helping the review team navigate their way through confidentiality issues and ensure that they undertook their review fairly and proportionately.
- Training charity trustees on their individual and collective duties
- Providing advice on the need to report serious incidents to the Charity Commission
- Advising a national regulator on the effect of charitable status on their regulatory regimes
- Preparing submissions on behalf of individual trustees to an independent review of their conduct and allegations that they had not acted with reasonable skill and care.