We are proud of our long history of advising farmers, landed estates and Oxbridge colleges. We also act for pension companies and other institutions who buy land as an investment, and some of the country's largest agribusinesses.
We help this broad range of landowners and land managers with any legal issue, including:
- Manorial and lordship rights and common land
- Mineral rights and projects
- Agricultural ties and restrictions
- Farm water, irrigation and reservoirs
- Shooting, fishing and sporting rights
- Succession planning, trust arrangements and schemes and tax efficiencies
Our experience includes:
- Restructuring Farmcare's trading operation to exit direct farming on 25,000 acres, involving setting up seven contract farming arrangements with six large independent farming businesses.
- Helping clients to protect assets for future generations through the use of trusts, partnerships, companies and pre/post nuptial agreements.
- Restructuring farm tenancies to secure 100% agricultural property relief.
- Advising on the use of decisions in IRC v Farmer and Balfour to secure business property relief on cottages and other investment assets.
- Assisting a food producer with the sale of business assets and the restructuring of contract farming agreements, involving the negotiation of over 20 documents, including transfers, leases and surrenders, and specialist corporate and employment advice.