Higher-risk buildings: registration

As mentioned in Alison Garrett's recent blog, registration for in-occupation higher-risk buildings started on 6 April.  The online portal  (click here) for registration is now open.

Registration currently applies to all occupied higher-risk buildings, being buildings which are at least 18 metres in height or at least 7 storeys and with 2 or more residential units. 

The principal accountable person (PAP) for the building must register any higher-risk building with the building safety regulator, who sits within the Health and Safety Executive. Note that the PAP will usually be either the freehold owner of the common parts of the building or anybody with a relevant repairing obligation for the common parts. 

As well as registration, key information must also be provided to the regulator.

The key information  to be kept and provided to the regulator (all to be provided within 28 days of registration) are set out in Higher-Risk Buildings (Key Building Information etc.) (England) Regulations 2023. This includes: 

  • whether there is any ancillary building (and if that is higher-risk) or below ground storeys 
  • the primary and secondary uses of the building (and any ancillary building, outbuilding or below ground storey) 
  • the external wall, structure and roof materials 
  • energy supply and storage system 
  • emergency planning information (type of evacuation strategy and the fire and smoke control equipment) 

The PAP must notify the Regulator within 28 days of becoming aware of any changes to this information. 

The window for registration will close on 1 October 2023. The expectation is that all existing and  higher-risk buildings will be registered before then and failure to do so will constitute a criminal offence. It is thought there could be about 12,500 buildings which require registration.


Our content explained

Every piece of content we create is correct on the date it’s published but please don’t rely on it as legal advice. If you’d like to speak to us about your own legal requirements, please contact one of our expert lawyers.

Posted by


Mills & Reeve Sites navigation
A tabbed collection of Mills & Reeve sites.
My Mills & Reeve navigation
Subscribe to, or manage your My Mills & Reeve account.
My M&R


Register for My M&R to stay up-to-date with legal news and events, create brochures and bookmark pages.

Existing clients

Log in to your client extranet for free matter information, know-how and documents.


Mills & Reeve system for employees.