Our dedicated international arbitration lawyers are experienced at advising at all stages of the arbitration process.
They regularly advise clients when negotiating agreements to structure their dispute resolution clauses (including arbitration clauses) to ensure clients have the best forum available in which to resolve their disputes if matters do go wrong and in order to maximise the best prospects of recovery if they obtain a successful award or judgment.
Our team has handled institutional arbitrations for clients across the globe under the major institutional rules such as UNCITRAL, ICC, LCIA, AAA, DIAC, DIFC-LCIA, DIS, HKIAC, SIAC, SCC, GAFTA, LMAA, ICSID rules, the CAS Code and undertaking ad hoc arbitrations.
Our international arbitration team is also experienced in taking steps to enforce arbitration agreements whether to prevent parties commencing litigation in breach of an arbitration agreement or in enforcing arbitration awards and recovering assets.
We have vast expertise and a long track record in successfully representing clients in international arbitrations including taking steps to enforce arbitration Awards. Our extensive experience includes:
- Acting for a leading multinational pharma company in an LCIA arbitration with regard to an alleged breach of contract for the manufacture and distribution of a medicinal product.
- Acting for a maritime salvage company in relation to an international arbitration under LMAA rules concerning the salvage of a vessel in international waters.
- Representing a Turkish contractor against a US major energy company in Kazakhstan under LCIA rules.
- Acting for a luxury car manufacturer in ICC arbitration proceedings arising out of the termination of an importer agreement in Eastern Europe.
- Representing German, Canadian, Caribbean and other respondent companies in a £25 million ICC arbitration dispute involving 12 parties regarding the ownership and rights to income streams from a global international gaming business.
- Acting for an international petroleum and waste storage company in the defence of proceedings brought in the LCIA relating to demurrage charges arising from alleged delays in offloading biodiesel in the port of Barcelona.
- Advising a joint venture of multi-national oil companies in an ad hoc arbitration in relation to a dispute with regard to the cost categorisation of offshore works circa £28 million.
- Acting in over 250 Court of Arbitration for Sport cases.
As well as having experienced dedicated international arbitration lawyers, Mills & Reeve also provides unrivalled sector expertise across multiple industries which it utilises in all disputes it handles. This includes acting for clients in international arbitrations arising in the following sectors:
- Automotive and Aeronautical
- Energy, Procurement and Construction
- Financial Services
- Healthcare and Life Sciences
- Insurance, Reinsurance and Political Risk
- Real Estate
- Shareholder Disputes
- Sport and Gaming
- Technology, Media and Telecommunications
For more information about:
- What is International Arbitration and how it can benefit you, click here.
- How UK Courts can assist parties in International Arbitration, click here.